The Self Appreciation Meditation
- Arrange yourself into your preferred meditation position so you feel comfortable and relaxed
- Imagine you are sat opposite an image of yourself-aligning with the wiser, more thoughtful aspect of who you are-that is not to say you are not that person already, it's just that so much of our time is spent on self-criticism that we have to remember to see ourselves with greater empathy
- Visualise yourself being watched with compasion and acceptance. There is no judgement here or criticism of any kind, just a simple acknowledgement of the person you are.
- Think about your qualities and what you most appreciate and value. Affirm to yourself that you are perfect as you are, requiring no changes, adjustments or tweaks; you are the best version of you. Be firm and strong on this point - of course we all have our inner list of things we would like to alter, we are human after all - but we must learn to love who we are in the now.
- Once you have made your positive affirmation, spend a few moments focusing on your breath.
- End the meditation by accepting to take small steps to integrate a more compassionate attitude into your day-to-day life. If a friend or colleague pays you a compliment, for instance, don't dismiss it with a self-depreciating remark; simply thank them and acknowledge the compliment.